Note! This website uses Cookie files! Detailed information can be found in privacy policy. I accept the policy.

tourist lines

narrow-gauge train

The historical narrow-gauge train sets off early afternoon every Saturday from the station in Piaseczno. It goes through Zalesie Dolne, with its historical station dating back to 1930s, through Głosków and Runów, and reaches Złotokłos. On the way back, it stops in Runów for a picnic. You can roast some sausages over the bonfire and rest on the sunny clearing or play some ball game. The trip, including the picnic in Runów, takes about 4 hours. You can reach Piaseczno from Warsaw using e.g. a dedicated historical bus line no. 51.

Narrow guage train - fot. L. Peczyński

In late 19th century, the Wilanów Narrow-gauge Train was opened, going from Belwederska Tollgate to Czerniakowska Road. Wealthy tailor from Warsaw, Eugeniusz Paszkowski, envied the owners for the success of that modern means of transport and dreamed of a competitive train from Warsaw to Piaseczno, going along Trakt Aleksandryjski (today’s Puławska Street). The first trains entered the section between Keksholmski square (today’s Unii Lubelskiej square) and Dąbrówka in mid-1898 and late the same year they reached Piaseczno. The line had been expanded regularly from that time to 1960s. First, the trains reached Góra Kalwaria, then Grójec and Jasieniec, and finally Nowe Miasto upon Pilica River. In 1924, Piaseczno Narrow-gauge Train served the close to 90 km route, the longest one in its history.

In mid-1930s, the Townhall in Warsaw started to be averse to the railway infrastructure because of the increasing road traffic and the growing popularity of electrical trams. First, the line was removed from Unii Lubelskiej square and shortened to Odyńca Street, and then to Warsaw Szopy station (Underground Wilanowska at present).

Following World War II the railway, including narrow-gauge trains, was nationalised. In 1950s, Piaseczno Narrow-gauge Train played an important role for the restoration of the Polish capital. Allegedly, every tenth brick in Warsaw was brought using that train from the brick factory in Gołków. 1960s brought about a growing fascination with vehicles and the tram network which was developed in Warsaw. In 1966, the slow, staged liquidation of Piaseczno Narrow-gauge Train started. On 1 July 1991, the traffic along the last section, i.e. Piaseczno – Grójec, was terminated. Seven years later the train returned to the section between Piaseczno and Tarczyn thanks to the commitment of its lovers. Tourist trips have been organised since then. Do not hesitate to visit www.kolejka-piaseczno.pl

Line 51 is designed solely for people going to travel by Piaseczno Narrow-gauge Train. The bus can be used based on the ticket issued by Piaseczyńsko-Grójeckie Towarzystwo Kolei Wąskotorowej for travelling by train and the bus bringing the travellers to Piaseczno. It is not possible to buy a ticket solely to travel by no. 51 bus.

Narrow guage train and bus line 51 - fot. L. Peczyński

The first trolley-buses appeared in Warsaw in 1940s. The municipal public transport was virtually non-existent after World War II. Help came from Marshall Stalin and the Soviet Union countries who donated 30 heavily worn trolley-buses, accessories and the overhead contact line. In January 1946, two lines were started. Two years later, for the first time, line no. 51 from Gdański Station to Unii Lubelskiej square appeared. The development of the trolley-bus network was most intense in early 1960s. There were six lines served by 127 trolley-buses. The trolley-bus liquidation started in 1967 and the network was eliminated 6 years later.

The first mentions of restoring the trolley-buses appeared just three years later. However, they were to play an entirely different role. Instead of serving the centre of Warsaw, they were to go outside the city. There were plans they would reach Piaseczno first as it was developing dynamically both in terms of accommodation opportunities and industry. However, only 10 years after the network was removed from the centre it became possible to start the trolley-bus connection from the Południowy Station (Underground Wilanowska at present) to Piaseczno. The line 51 trolley-buses set off along that route on 1 June 1983.

Nine years later, the development of the plans to restructure the Warsaw public transport was accompanied by the plans to liquidate the trolley-buses. The last day of the summer holidays 1995 was also the last day of the trolley-bus trips. Line no. 51 was replaced by bus line no. 709.

Timetable

Lines operate on all Saturdays from 4 of May to 28 of September and additionally on 1 of May.

Bus 51 departures:
Centrum 03 stop at Marszałkowska street - 13.00
Metro Wilanowska 09 at the bus terminal - 13.20

Departure of the train from the Piaseczno Miasto station - 14.20
Return of the train to Piaseczno Miasto station - around 17.40

Return of the bus line 51 from the Piaseczno Miasto station is about 20 minutes after the train arrives (around 18.00). Arrival at Metro Wilanowska stop around 18:40, arrival at Centrum stop around 19.00.

Booking

Sample prices of tickets for the Piaseczno Narrow Gauge Railway:

ticket type
ticket
price
price including trip
with the bus line 51
normal ticket
30.00 PLN 35.00 PLN
normal ticket for people with Varsovian Card
or Large Family Card
25.00 PLN 30.00 PLN
discount ticket for people aged 3-18 years
20.00 PLN 25.00 PLN
discount ticket for people aged 3-18 years
with Young Varsovian Card or Large Family Card
15.00 PLN 20.00 PLN

Detailed information and ticket purchase at www.kolejka-piaseczno.pl

Narrow guage train and bus line 51 - fot. L. PeczyńskiNarrow guage train - fot. L. Peczyński

zaplanuj podróż

kalandarz
ZTM in social media