- Why did a driver refuse to let me in despite the fact that he stopped at the traffic lights only a few meters past the bus/tram stop?
A driver is allowed to let the passengers in and out solely at bus/tram stops. The Public Transport Authority of Warsaw cares about the security of passengers during getting on and off and it may be ensured only at specifically determined places.
- A driver closed the door right in front of me.
Before leaving a bus/tram stop, a driver makes sure that all passengers get off and all passengers waiting at a bus stop enter a vehicle. Then he/she switches on the sound signal, closes the doors and leaves the bus/tram stop. Because of security, a driver in not entitled to open the door for a late passenger after the signal. Besides, a driver may not wait too long for all late passengers due to timetables.
- A driver is smoking. What should I do?
According to the Traffic Law Act of the 20th of June 1997 (Art. 63 Sec. 5) – it is strictly forbidden for motor vehicle drivers who transports other persons to smoke or eat while driving.
- Some lines are not fully used, whereas others are overcrowded. Why do you fail to react to such situations? Is it possible to change that in any way?
We control the extent of use and punctuality of individual lines on a regular basis. The specialist software is used to check how a planned change of the route or frequency will influence functioning of the whole line.
The ZTM also considers systematically all signals from passengers. Remarks and motions can be submitted in person, by e-mail or by phone. Passengers can also raise their comments to regional or district offices.
- You are constantly changing the routes. There is no single month without changes. Moreover, the already changed line is sometimes changed again after a few months.
Warsaw is dynamically developing and growing all the time. New roads and housing estates are built. New kinds of transport, like underground, are expanding and the city is the large construction site of numerous road infrastructure investments. These factors contribute to the fact that some changes have to be frequently introduced to the existing public transport system.
The changes introduced by the ZTM are the consequences of detailed analyses of number of passengers and wide social consultations with offices, companies, institutions, social organizations and passengers. The submitted motions are also taken into consideration while deciding on proposed solutions.
- I am an elderly person and I use a walking stick. I choose the first door to be visible for a tram driver. However, it has happened several times that a bus/tram driver trapped me in the door. Why do such situations happen?
It is believed that the first door of a vehicle is the most visible for a driver, which is not true. The construction of a cabin limits visibility and mirrors are positioned in such a way that they show the side of a vehicle. The passengers with difficulties in moving should choose the marked, most frequently second door.
A bus/tram is obliged to check if all passengers get on or off a vehicle before closing the door and leaving a bus stop.
- I wanted to buy a ticket by a driver. One of them refused to sell me a ticket and the other did not want to give me my change.
Sale of tickets in public transport vehicles is a supplementary form of sale. A bus/tram driver who is starting a route, has a limited number of tickets at his/her disposal and it is not possible to resupply this amount later on. Carriers are responsible for providing vehicles with single fare tickets.
Tickets may be sold only at stops and a bus/tram driver may refuse to sell it if a vehicle is late more than 3 minutes (§ 19 point 3 of the Regulations of transport of passengers and hand luggage).
A driver accepts the exact amount prepared by a passenger. According to the provisions of the regulation of transport (§ 19 point 2), one is allowed to purchase single fare tickets on vehicles of local public transport for the exact amount.
- Why did a driver refuse to sell me a ticket?
According to the Regulations of transport of passengers and hand luggage, drivers are entitled to refuse to sell a ticket in case of a delay longer than 3 minutes regarding the timetable. Besides, sale of tickets is acceptable only at bus stops due to security reasons.
It should be mentioned that sale of tickets on vehicles of municipal public transport is one of several possible ways to purchase a ticket and is a kind of supplementary form of sale.
The ZTM ticket sales network is well-developed and includes Passenger Service Centers, newsagent’s and newspaper stands, post offices, stationery ticket machines and railway ticket windows, where you can recharge proximity cards
- Why are all types of tickets not available in newsagent’s?
The retail sellers very often sell only the most popular types of tickets. Newsagents who have devices for coding Warsaw City Cards are obliged to sell all types of ZTM tickets. Please inform us if they fail to do it.
- Where and how can I file a complaint about a bus driver?
Complaints in writing, including those about drivers, can be filed in Passenger Service Centers. Passengers receive a written response to the complaint.
A complaint can also be filed via a contact form on the ZTM website, choose ‘Contact the ZTM’ and then ‘Write to us’. If a passenger encloses his/her personal data and address, he/she will also receive a written response.
A complaint may also be anonymous. You can make such a complaint by calling our hotline at 801-044-484.
- I was very close to the bus stop when suddenly the bus left the bus bay and cut in on me. I had to brake hard to avoid a collision.
A bus may not merge with traffic suddenly (that is because of its bulkiness and worse acceleration than in cars). A bus driver, similarly to any other driver, is obliged to signal a turn if he/she wants to merge with traffic. It is worth mentioning that pursuant to the provisions of the traffic code, car drivers should enable a bus driver to merge with traffic if such a driver signals an intention of changing a traffic lane or leaving a bus bay. (chapter 3, Art. 18.2 of the Traffic Law Act).
- You are constantly changing the routes. The connections between two remote districts are removed, which forces the inhabitants to change. Moreover, you remove lines which have run for many years.
Warsaw is dynamically developing and growing all the time. New roads and housing estates are built. New kinds of transport are expanding and the city is the large construction site of numerous road infrastructure investments. These factors contribute to the fact that some changes have to be frequently introduced to the existing public transport system. The solutions implemented many years ago do not work any longer. The changes introduced by the ZTM are the consequences of detailed analyses of number of passengers and wide social consultations. The submitted motions are also taken into consideration while deciding on proposed solutions.
According to the current communication policy of Warsaw authorities, rail communication is priority and bus lines are intended to transport inhabitants to communications hubs. Travelling by rail communication is faster and due to increased number of tram and underground connections, changes are not too arduous.
- Why does a new line not have the same number as an old one if its route is almost identical and it should function under such a traditional number?
The pool of numbers is limited and particular numbers are reserved for specific types of lines. The number of a standard bus line cannot be used for an express line. The particular number could be dedicated to another line or reserved for another line, which has not been introduced yet.
The ZTM cares about satisfaction of its passengers and that is why new lines should meet their expectations.
- There should be at least one or two more additional bus stops within some express and fast lines.
Express and fast lines connect remote districts with the city center, communications hubs and important change stops. More stops would cause the longer ride and as a result, the line would lose its character with time. We are trying to find the best solution – both for passengers expecting from us fast connections between remote areas of the city and for persons who want to have additional stops on the route of ‘red’ lines.
- It sometimes happens that the routes of particular lines are changed without warning and I cannot find information about such changes.
The sudden change is sometimes caused by a random incident, e.g. breakdown or accident. We always inform our passengers about intended changes connected with mass or sport events and construction works in advance to let them prepare themselves for such changes.
Information about changes can found at bus/tram stops of changed lines and at the posters on vehicles placed below a board with a line route.
If the changes are more extensive, the ZTM puts leaflets on public transport vehicles and announcements, outlines and posters are available at additional information posts placed near significant communications hubs. In case of changes in underground services, they are announced through loudspeakers at the stations.
- I forgot my ticket and I got a request for payment. I am an honest passenger and I have always had a ticket. Is it possible to cancel this fine?
Pursuant to the provisions of the Travel Tariff – Supplementary Decisions (§ 19. 1), if a passenger presents this ticket within 7 days following the date of the request issuance, the fine is cancelled (only in case of personal tickets). A passenger hat to pay only so-called handling charge in the amount of PLN 17,60.
- Do I have the right to ask a ticket inspector for his/her personal data? I would like to know who he/she is.
Each ticket inspector wears an ID badge with an identification number, a photo and a validity date of a document entitling him/her to carry out inspections. However, he/she is not obliged to give his/her name and surname. If you have doubts, you can always call the police to check the identity and qualifications of a ticket inspector.
- How can I, as an elderly person entitled to travel for free, obtain a ticket which will enable me to pass the entrance gates at the underground train stations?
You can obtain a multi-pass ticket in the Passenger Service Centers. This ticket will enable you to pass the entrance gates. The elderly persons who want to go by underground may also use an elevator to reach the station.
- Is it obligatory to personalize my card? What if I happen not to do it?
After January 1, 2010 it will not be possible to code 30- and 90-day personal tickets on a normal card. Tickets coded before this date may be used till the end of June. That is why we kindly invite you to personalize your card as soon as possible.
A personal ticket gives you a lot of benefits. First of all, you do not have to sign the new card and the holder does not have to present the ID to prove his/her identity. Only the persons who are entitled to any kind of discounts are obliged to have a document confirming their right to the particular discount.
If you lose your card, you can block it in one of the ZTM Passenger Service Centers. Then you can get a duplicate (issue of a duplicate costs PLN 13,20). If you failed to use the whole ticket, it is possible to transfer the rest of it onto a duplicate in the Passenger Service Centers.
- I have the Warsaw City Card. Can I leave my car at one of the P+R car parks? For how long?
The ‘Park & Ride’ car parks may be used free of charge by all persons who have valid ZTM tickets (1-, 3-, 30- and 90-day ones), as well as by holders of senior tickets and persons entitled to discounts or travelling free of charge.
The car parks may be used between 4:30 and 2:30 a.m. (so-called parking day). After exceeding this time, you will be charged to the amount of PLN 100.
- I got on a bus and took a seat. When I wanted to punch my ticket, it appeared that a validating machine had already been blocked be ticket inspectors.
According to the provisions of § 19 sec. 3 of the Regulations of transport of passengers and hand luggage on vehicles of municipal public transport in Warsaw, tickets should be punched immediately after entering a vehicle, therefore BEFORE taking a seat.